Tuesday, July 6, 2010

An herb basket.










A few weeks ago, I was asked to give a short talk about herbs and how to use them. For a few weeks I dreamed and imagined baking at least 10 recipes using herbs; baking breads and cookies of all sorts to demonstrate the amazing use of herbs in ones life. However, I had to be realistic about time and effort......I enjoyed keeping it simple : basil shortbreads, Meyer Lemon bread with fresh thyme, fresh herbs baked on top of a loaf of rustic bread, a bouquet of herbs from my garden. I lined the antique square baking tins of my grandmother's (I recently learned that she baked my parents wedding cake in these tins) with natural parchment paper and filled them to the brim with the baked goods. I wandered around my garden and gathered a bouquet of my favorite herbs that grow so freely in my messy English garden and placed them in my favorite blue and white checkered pitcher. I placed all of this in my very large hand made basket from Maine and drove to the church to share my goods!

1 comment: